Gluten Free Cassava Flour Pizza Base
We’ve been gluten free for many years now and have tried a variety of different pizza base recipes all with varying degrees of success.
My boys love pizza and it’s the birthday dinner of choice without a doubt but this year we had the added complication of Oliver inviting a friend with a nut allergy to join his birthday celebrations. No problem - I’ve been itching to experiment with cassava flour as a base for pizza and the good news everyone declared it was THE best gluten free pizza ever – no saggy, soggy base – the perfect thin and crispy nut free, dairy free and gluten free pizza base.
Here it is, our family's favourite pizza base recipe.
Cassava Flour Pizza Base (makes 2 bases)
2 cups of cassava flour
1 1/2 cups of tapioca flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp garlic powder/flakes
1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup of coconut oil, melted
1 cup of water
- Preheat oven to 180 °C fan bake.
- Combine the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a jug add the eggs, vinegar, oil and water. Beat until well combined.
- Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix well forming a smooth paste. This mixture makes approximately two large pizza bases.
- Place a sheet of baking paper onto a pizza stone or baking tray and spoon half the mixture onto the sheet.
- Using a flat metal spatula spread the mix evenly in your desired shape.
- Pop it into the oven and cook for 15 mins.
- Remove from the oven, flip the base, bottom up and top with your choice of pizza toppings.
- Pop back in the oven until the cheese is golden and melted.
- Repeat for the second base using the remaining mixture.
Happy baking, Sue and Nikki