Gluten Free Hot Cross Buns
Delicious gluten free hot cross buns, are YUM and paelo to boot! Hip, hop Easter is on its way and these are a favourite in our house . After many test batches (happily eaten by the boys) we have perfected the recipe and would like to share it with you.
1 cup (70g) psyllium husks
½ cup (70g) coconut flour
3 Tbsp chia seeds
3 Tbsp flaxseeds
¼ cup (30g) pumpkin seeds
3 Tbsp sesame seeds
¼ cup (30g) sunflower seeds
¼ cup coconut sugar
1cups of sultanas
½ cup cranberries
½ cup crystallised ginger roughly chopped
¼ cup of cinnamon
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp all spice
1 nutmeg finely grated
½ tsp ground clove
2½ tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Soak, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF) and line a baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a high-speed food processor place psyllium husks, coconut flour, chia seeds, coconut palm sugar, spices and baking powder, blend until combined.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl, added sultanas, crystallised ginger and cranberries and set to one side.
- Strain the soaked seeds, rinse and add to the food processor with the eggs, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar and half the water. Blend until the seeds and finely chopped.
- Combine the remaining water, blended seed mix and dry ingredients into a bowl and mix everything until it forms a wet dough, this will take a few moments for the dough to begin to form.
- Prepare a lightly floured board and knead dough for 1 minute.
- Divide dough into 6 -10 portions, roll into balls.
- Place rolls on prepared tray, 2 cm apart, leaving room for spreading.
- Bake for 50 minutes - 1 hour, rotating tray halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- Check to see if the rolls are ready by tapping the base of one roll, if it sounds hollow, remove them from the oven.
- Cook rolls further if they still sound dense and heavy inside.
- Cool on tray for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely or serve them up warm with butter.