An all-natural soothing balm is handy to have in your eco bathroom. As the weather cools down and with an increase in windy weather we have chapped sore lips in our family so making a fresh batch of lip balm is a must.
Making your own lip balm is one of the easiest places to start when you are learning to make your own body care products and we love this simple recipe that works every time. It is so versatile - not only is it great for lips but it works on rashes from nappy rash to grazes and general mild body rashes. It is also perfect to sooth dry heels.
Where ever possible we choose organic products. For this recipe you will need:
- 15g Beeswax
- 4g Cocoa butter
- 4g Honey or glycerin
- 49ml Jojoba oil
- 3ml Carrot infused oil
- 5ml Calendula oil
- 20 drops/1ml citrus seed extract
- 2 drops Palmarosa essential oil
- 2 drops Rose Geranium essential oil
- Sterlised glass jars (10-15 ml lip balm pots)
- Heat proof glass jug
- Egg ring
- Wash your hands well.
- Fill a saucepan ½ full with water, place an egg ring in the saucepan and start heating the water on the stove.
- Add your beeswax and cocoa butter to the glass jug and place the jug on the egg ring in the saucepan.
- After the beeswax and cocoa butter have melted add the:
- jojoba oil
- carrot infused oil
- calendula oil
- citrus seed extra
Stir with a sterilised spoon until well combined.
- Once the mixture is liquid, remove from the heat and stir rapidly to ensure the honey is well dispersed in the mixture and doesn’t sink to the bottom.
- As the mixture begins to cool (45º) and starts to solidify, stir in the essential oils.
- Pour into your sterlised jars.
Tip: Sandalwood and myrrh are another great essential oil combination for this healing lip balm.
Happy making, Sue and Nikki