This delicious Autumn cake is a wonderful celebration of pears and chocolate. The recipe is gluten free but also includes tips to make it dairy free and low sugar.
Pear and Chocolate Cake with Almond and Coconut
300g melted butter*
2 tsp vanilla extract
150g desiccated coconut
150g almond meal
75g tapioca flour
150g coconut palm sugar**
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 pears, peeled core and sliced
100g of chopped 70% dark chocolate
*For a dairy free option swap out the butter for coconut oil
**If like us you are try to cut down on sugar in your diet we make this delicious cake with only 100g coconut palm sugar.
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC.
2. Mix together the melted butter, eggs and vanilla in a bowl.
3. Add the coconut, almond meal, tapioca, baking powder and sugar, stir until just combined.
4. Pour into a spring form pan or cake tin.
5. Sprinkle over the chocolate then place the pear slices around the cake.
6. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden and the middle springs back lightly.
7. Remove from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack.
Happy baking,Sue and Nikki